No truer words have been spoken.  Education starts at home.

While both of my sons are products of the public school system, I attribute
much of their success to my and their mother's direct involvement in their
education.

Case in point:

My youngest son, who is currently in his junior year of college, just finished
a course in World Literature that was a 4000 level (senior) class.  His
professor held his work up as an example for the mostly senior World Lit majors
in the class as an example of what they should be doing.  Didn't make him very
popular amongst his peers, but he was equally surprised, as he didn't think
there was anything spectacular about his work.

I firmly believe this comes back to our insistence that he and his brother
always work beyond their potential, and when they questioned us about this, got
the response, "Because we have higher standards."

Children will rise to your expectations if you insist on it, and provide the
support and encouragement to do so.

Dan