> Dieselhead wrote:

 I checked voltage with the engine running.  got a climbing
 voltage up to 17.5, then later 18
   and still later near 18v.  I am not sure about the accuracy or
 a $3 multimeter.

Ouch!  If that's accurate, you have troubles.  Well designed
automotive electronics should survive 20 V - but how close to 20 V
is it?

You could use a known precise voltage between 10 and 20 V to check
the meter.  A computer power supply, a regulated wall wart, a lead
acid battery known to be good that's been at rest for a few hours...

--      Philip

Its a wonko meter.  I forgot to pack my good one.