Does anyone know if microwave ovens can be operated sitting on the end opposite the electronics?

Provided there is no turntable to fall apart, it should work.
The cooling fan might not last as long if it's running in a
bad orientation, but so long as the airflow isn't blocked
everything else should work.  Nothing about a magnetron or
a waveguide that's orientation-sensitive.

I use one of those 20W coffee cup warmers to sit my tea
mug on.  Even smaller, and no noise.  Sometimes I roast
raw peanuts on it.

-- Jim