I think that part of Pine Ridge (or it might have been another failed subdivision) is still pretty much devoid of houses. Citrus County doesn't have much building going on, but that might soon change since the governor has allocated money for the extension of the limited access highway from Tampa. It currently ends near the county line but work on it was in progress before the crash. When it's completed, Citrus County will probably become more like Hernando and Pasco County and the empty subdivisions might see more home building.

It sounds like your inlaws lived near Inglis, Florida which is on US 19. There is an upscale RV park south of Inglis on the barge canal where Gary Berghoff (the M.A.S.H company clerk Radar) lives in a million dollar motor home.

Inglis gained national attention after the mayor put up signs on US 19 banning the devil: "In November 2001, Mayor <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor> Carolyn Risher issued a proclamation banning Satan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan> from Inglis. The proclamation began:

"Satan, ruler of darkness, giver of evil, destroyer of what is good and just, is not now, nor ever again will be, a part of this town of Inglis.

"This controversial proclamation garnered national and world attention. The American Civil Liberties Union <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_Liberties_Union> accused the town of what they alleged was a clear violation of the separation of church and state <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state>. In addition, the proclamation was placed on wooden posts that were installed at the entrances to the town on public rights of way. After much controversy and the threat of lawsuits, the town later rescinded its proclamation, and the mayor reimbursed the town for the use of government stationery. The wooden posts were relocated to private property."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inglis,_Florida

This is an interesting part of Florida where people can usually do things they couldn't do in more heavily developed parts of the state. For example, in a fit of anger a Crystal River city commissioner pulled a banana and aimed it at another commissioner. The chief of police rose and charged him with assault. I didn't hear anymore about it, so the charge was probably dropped. It was published in the local paper but I couldn't find the story.
Gerry