Dieselhead wrote:

What the home shows on the telly show that they do to offset this is to keep hot water circulating constantly through the whole 5-10,000 sq ft house. Hardly energy efficient. Again, it offsets the perceived savings, and probably more than negates it.

I can guarantee that pipe heat loss exceeds tank heat loss by a huge margin, unless you foam all the cavities with pipes in them, and I've never heard of anybody doing that. If the pipes and tank are in conditioned space and you're paying to heat the house, the loss is pretty much zero. If you're paying to cool the house, then the loss gets multiplied.

Heat pump water heaters are awesome, if you live in Florida or Dallas. Put the tank in conditioned space, pay for cooling, get free hot water.

Mitch.