Dan Penoff wrote:
I know a couple of people who have done the electric tankless, neither of which are happy with it.

The power factor on an electric tank heater is usually about .92, so they figure 8% of the cost is heat loss from the storage tank. If the tankless is at all annoying to use, you won't want to put up with it for a potential 8% savings.

I wonder how well a hybrid would do in a 50 degree basement.

Mitch.

I think a guideline is the ratio of $ spent heating vs $ spent cooling. In the south, where the big dollars are air conditioning, the hybrids might make sense, if the cooling will be retained in the house. In the north where the primary cost is heating, I think a std. water heater makes more sense, as the "waste" is heat used to heat the basement or house.

In a small house where the water using core is close, a tankless might make sense. Particularly in warmer climates so the lag water might be used in place of wasted.