I am currently using gas fired tankless water heaters in both the motorhome
and at the ranch house. Now that I have them, I love them.

In each case, ignition is triggered by a piezeo electric turbine which
lights the burner as soon as water flow is sensed. No pilot light required.
It only makes hot water as you need it, and it makes as much as you need.
They never run out of hot water.

Initial cost is high, but convenience is higher. One of my pet peeves is to
finish a shower with cold water.  Tankless , that never happens.  With the
motorhome, a 10 gallon hot water tank type was about the limit size wise..
now.. the water source is the only limit.. Gas usage is minimized as well.

Overall.. very happy.

Motor home= short runs of pipe= minimal loss
Warm climate helps too.
tankless makes sense

Not sure of the size of your house, but I'm betting it is not a 5,000 sq ft mcmansion.

large new houses with continuous circulating hot water to offset the tankless lag in cold climates; tankless makes no sense, other than the brag factor.