When I was a kid we did a driving vacation from Indianapolis, across Niagara
and up the St. Lawrence, going up and over the Gaspe to Halifax and then across
the Bay of Fundy on the ferry to Maine and back to Indy.

We stayed at a couple of B&Bs that were literally nothing more than people
renting out spare bedrooms.  They spoke French but little English, however,
they were very accommodating and made an effort to communicate.  One of the
stops was at a "resort" at St. Jean-Port Joli Quebec.  The place was huge,
located right on the shores of the St. Lawrence, but it was cold as heck
(August?)  I recall how the asshat servers in the restaurant pretended not to
understand English, yet you could hear them speaking both English and French in
the kitchen.  They made fun of my Dad trying to order a beer - we heard them.

Dad, who is mightly pissed by now, walks back into the kitchen and tells
the"frogs" they better get him his f-ing beer before he walks out and refuses
to pay the bill.

They weren't pleasant after that but I did recall there was no problem with our
ordering in English.

Dan