Randy Bennell wrote:
True. If you go into rural Quebec you may find the folks refuse to speak English even if they do know it.
I would think it less likely that they would do that when in Florida.
And, I do believe there are people in Quebec who truly do not speak English.

Met a group of Kaybecker college students at a campground in Ontario in the 1970s. Not a one of them knew how to start a fire. They were holding matches to a log and wondering why it didn't reach combustion temp. They were quite friendly after my brother and dad split a log into kindling and showed them how to start a fire.

One of the males and none of the females spoke English, or maybe (but unlikely) some of the others were hiding it. French was a mandatory class in Ontario elementary schools, but maybe English isn't mandatory in Quebec?

Mitch.