On 24/01/2014 2:40 PM, Mitch Haley wrote:
Randy Bennell wrote:
True. If you go into rural Quebec you may find the folks refuse to speak English even if they do know it.
I would think it less likely that they would do that when in Florida.
And, I do believe there are people in Quebec who truly do not speak English.

Met a group of Kaybecker college students at a campground in Ontario in the 1970s. Not a one of them knew how to start a fire. They were holding matches to a log and wondering why it didn't reach combustion temp. They were quite friendly after my brother and dad split a log into kindling and showed them how to start a fire.

One of the males and none of the females spoke English, or maybe (but unlikely) some of the others were hiding it. French was a mandatory class in Ontario elementary schools, but maybe English isn't mandatory in Quebec?

Mitch.

No, I am afraid it is the other way. English is almost forbidden in Quebec in the schools. A client moved to Montreal a number of years ago and I saw him a year or two later.
I asked how he was doing in terms of learning French and he said not good.
Part of the problem was that as soon as the people in the city knew that he spoke English, they wanted to speak to him in English so that they could practise their English and try to learn.
(maybe so they could get out of Quebed?).
He said he could practise his French in the rural areas.

Randy