Well yeah, that's a large part of the problem, in a few years we won't be making cars here anymore, mostly because it's cheaper to build them in Asia, plus what we build is not popular and not very special.
Actually wages are higher in Germany but they make cars that people want.
Just about every day I read about another factory shutting down here to move OS, whether it is profit maximisation or survival I do not know. Basically it's not a level playing field, we have pretty much abolished all the tariffs and have free trade agreements with a lot of countries but that has basically killed manufacturing here. I suppose that is good for the consumer, insofar that they stuff is cheaper but the problem is, it don't matter how cheap it is, if you have no job and no money. So I guess I should not be whining, as I too am guilty of buying the cheap stuff. I just have to weather the storm of people not spending a lot on large scale home improvements but are spending on pleasure items for that quick fix.

Hendrik
who might have to find some part time work but we don't have walmart here but are getting costco and Aldi http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/big-jobs-boost-as-retailer-costco-launches-in-south-australia/story-fni6uo1m-1226800110265