Was that round about the currency change over?
The meter in pennies and fare in cents?

Hendrik
who is not old enough to remember that far back, well more than two days and I'm buggered

On 29/01/14 07:41, Andrew Strasfogel wrote:
For everyone's benefit, Australia has a no tipping mentality, or used to
have one.  40 years ago if you tried to tip a Sydney cabbie he would bite
your hand off.  The meters ran in pennies, so it was always tempting to
"round up".  I remember being driven for what seemed like forever and the
fare came to 28 OZ cents.