find a copy of Knoppix or the like. Linux, self-contained on 1 bootable CD rom. VERY handy for this kind of diag/repair.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:04:19 -0600, Peter Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'll still take a Mac over a PC -- I'm in the process of "raising the
dead" yet again on a PC box -- buddy of mine has a Vaio desktop that
won't boot -- probably a disk problem that any number of Mac utilities
will easily fix, but since I can't boot the damned thing with any of my
external devices, I'm reduced to a "baby" floppy disk boot and the
mostly useless MSDOS utilities....

PCs are pretty lame in the hardware department, and MS software is
beneath contemp....

Peter