I've worked on Macs for years, and the only model I can think of that is failure-prone is the original, Bondi Blue iMac. My brother in law's Lombard Powerbook has been an ongoing problem for him, but that *may* be due in part that he likes to tinker with things.

My 800MHz G4 17" flat panel iMac has been trouble-free, I'm happy to report. (Knocking on wood now....)

--mf