In a message dated 1/11/2006 8:17:21 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I  recently purchased an 83 300SD, approx 260k miles. Transmission slips  on
2-3 shift - but all other shifts are solid and positive, both up and  down -
and the 3-2 (edit - corrected from "4-3" which isn't the shift in  question,
oops) downshift is also solid. My question is, if only the one  shift is bad,
is this likely to be an adjustment issue?  I would  expect if clutch pack
wear was involved, other shifts would be off too - in  other words, how
likely is it that one clutch pack is toast while the  others are totally fine
(my impression is there are separate clutch packs  for each gear - this is my
first auto-trans car in quite awhile so please  forgive ignorance there)? The
car came with sporadic records  (well-documented for a few years at a time,
then nothing for a while), so  I'm not sure if anything has been done to the
tranny - another question is,  how long should these go before some service
is required - how likely is it  that the tranny may have already received
attention at some point?   Finally, if anyone can shed light on how auto
transmissions work/what can  be adjusted (pre-electronic trannies that is),
I'd appreciate it  much.

Tim,

Welcome to the list.

My 79 slipped for 3-4 years on the 2-3 part throttle upshift and I thought
sure it was terminal.  About 6 years ago I replaced the vacuum modulator  and
that cured the problem.  Still on original bands and clutches at  261,000
miles.  Putting a mitivac on the old modulator revealed a very slow  leak which
may
have been the cause but I really can't explain why this fixed  it.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 261 K miles