No no no, the 606 is still indirect injection with prechambers, same
as the older diesels. The difference is that it's a hemispherical
combustion chamber, with the injector in middle of 4 valves. The
prechamber and injector are buried deep in the middle of the cylinder
head, not outside like the older cars. And the glow plugs are super
long to be able to reach in that far.

We didn't get a real direct-injection engine from MB in the USA until 2005.

+dm