Not if you have a bill of sale.

Robert & Tara Ludwick wrote:

Even if the plates stay with the car, best to take care of temp registration for your own protection, if the PO has a stack of parking tickets or worse on that tag, you'll be taking an unscheduled vacation.

---------Robert

David Brodbeck wrote:

Zeitgeist wrote:
Tell us where the car is currently.  If the car is purchased here in
WA, unless they're vanity plates, they'll stay with the car.  Other
states may pull them, but not typically here in WA.

It's currently in WA.  Michigan, where I used to live, required the
seller to pull the plates and keep them, hence my confusion I suppose.