thanks,

xx rick
Rick Hawkins

On Apr 18, 2014, at 11:57 PM, mercedes-requ...@okiebenz.com wrote:

From: Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net>
Date: April 18, 2014 10:05:26 PM EDT
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] sls troubles 300td 1982

Rick Hawkins Java wrote:
So what kind of damage could be done to the pump?
it's a pretty simple device .... pounding around of the pistons or something the lever is moved all the time when you drive around and hit bumps, no matter how heavy or light you use it, i would think
lack of the dampening action of the spheres?
i would think a hose would fail before the valve

It's the control valve that gets damaged by the pressure spikes.
When I bought my 2.3-16, it had dead spheres and a valve that wouldn't hold pressure. I got a used valve from somebody who downgraded to lowering springs, and new spheres. When those spheres died, I let the tire pressure down to 20 psi and drove it carefully 6 miles to the cottage to store it. When I got there, the suspension was flat again, that 'gentle' drive to the lake killed the replacement control valve. IIRC, my W201 uses S123 spheres and S124 control valve, and the 124 valve isn't rebuildable.

Mitch.