So I went to a dealership for a Club High Mileage event and had an array of
seasoned techs work on my suspension problem.  :)

The consensus was that the bouncy rear end was NOT related to the air cells
(spheres), since they are new.

We lowered the ride height by adjusting the rear valve linkage, from 16" to
a litle over 14 as measured from the center of the rear wheel hub to the
wheel arch.  Then we lowered the car to the floor and ran the engine while
a couple burly techs sat on the deck with the tailgate raised. The level of
the rear dropped down, but after 5 minutes there was no perceptible rise.
We put it back on the lift and inspected the rear struts, which were German
OEM and quite clean (e.g., not original to the car).  The springs measured
17mm in diameter, but the correct OEM springs are supposed to be only
15.95, so obviously these are replacement springs.  Could these incorrect
springs be the source of my problem?  Or is there more likely to be a
problem with the rear suspension valve?  SLS fluid is recirculating
normally and there are no leaks in the system, but the failure of the rear
end to rebound while under load may suggest a problem with the valve.

Thoughts anyone?