Depends on if the 220D is a stick or auto. Stick will beat the 240 every day. I guess the 240 stick would do the same.

Gump is able to get 30mpg most tanks. I think that has more to do with not having anything else using HP. The 240 would have AC, PS, and who knows what else they can toss in. If there is any real HP gain to the 616, it would all be eaten by the accessories. Reduce Delta V and MPG. Maybe a similarly equipped w115 would be as gutless and fuel foolish.

Biggest difference is that Performance Products has w123 stuff in their catalogue. The w123 has lots of interesting things and bits that take more work to take off. I do not own a w123 and only come across them in the PnP, where I take parts off.