The 220D is about 4 seconds slower then the 240D (same transmission).
Mercedes rates fuel economy of the 220D about 3 mpg better.

Another difference I'd mention is that the 220D might have an oil-bath
(element) air filter, and an oil-bath (you) oil filter.  Most would
consider the later paper air element to be superior, at least in
terms of cleanliness, and _everybody_ would consider the later
top-access oil filter canister to be superior.

Supposedly a 240D head will bolt right onto a 200D/220D motor, and
I believe the Frankenheap has one of these.  Supposed to breathe
a little better that way.  All I know is that the Frankenheap
is eminently drivable.  (Stickshift.)

and bad side. Friends that owned early 115s seemed to have a lot of rust
problems - especially front inner fenders. Not as bad in the 240Ds (I
owned a pair of them).

Earlier 115's I've seen have metal plates covering the interior space
behind the fender.  Later ones had plastic.  Don't know if that was the
significant difference or not.

-- Jim