On Thu, 15 May 2014 22:46:55 -0600 Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

> From the information I saw on the 'Net, making hashes of everything and
> then checking and rechecking them on read, it would be very CPU and RAM
> intensive. A fanless processor might make data access rather slow.

For some data points (the "maximum power dissipation" numbers are no help
in determining what idle power will be), my home system power draws are:

        Athlon 605e quad-core on ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
                 63W 800 MHz processor speed
                 65W 2.3 GHz processor speed

        Athlon 905e quad-core on ASUS M4A785TM-M EVO
                With IDE disk spun down
                        69W 800 MHz processor speed
                        70W 2.5 GHz processor speed
                With IDE disk spun up
                        75W 800 MHz processor speed
                        76W 2.5 GHz processor speed

All numbers include one SATA disk spinning.

Craig