On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My LG Optimus android phone accompanied me into the pool on Saturday and
> hasn't worked since.  I left it in a sealed bag of (uncooked) rice for the

I have had several water stories with phones:
 - My wife left her purse next to an ice pack, or something like that.
 Enough water condensed into her purse (one of the little ones) that there
was nearly an inch sloshing around when I recovered her original Evo 4G.  I
dried it out and it worked, until she dropped it out of an SUV a few weeks
later.  The insurance replacement one still works several years later,
though they are killing WiMax so that won't be true much longer.
 - My Sony Xperia TL fell into the bath while I was helping my daughter
out.  This one did not have a removable battery, but it still works - I use
it as a "permanent" install for Torque in the van.
 - My HTC Touch Pro stopped working after I used it while sweating in the
garden.  Permanently destroyed the touchscreen, Sprint would not replace it
without the deductible (which was well more than the value of the phone).
 That was the last time I carried insurance on my phone, and almost the
last time I was a Sprint customer.

Back when I used to repair phones for not-actually-a-profit, I found that
installing the battery upside-down on a Touch Pro would fry the motherboard
instantly.  No smoke, just no more function.

better part of 3 days, to no avail.  It still won't come on, although when
> plugged into the wall charger the red light illuminates for awhile, then
> goes out.  What else should I attempt or should i throw in the towel?

If you have shorted something on the mainboard it won't be worth repairing,
and if something is wacky (like a gyroscope, or compass, or NFC, or...) you
might not know for a while.  For a phone I use daily I would hunt a
replacement on Craigslist, or suck up the insurance deductible if I had it.

Since you seem to have gone the insurance route, if they let you keep the
phone you should take it apart and see if you can stick in some other
battery.  If you can make it boot, I'm sure you can find a use for a spare
computer around the house. (Torque is handy in my dash.)

Best,
Tim