Probably not the best idea to buy it if you don't really need it.
I really wanted to try a diesel truck but I really do not need a 3/4 ton and so I stayed away. I am hopeful that the new 1/2 ton Dodge with the smaller diesel will prove to be a good truck and that the other manufacturers will get on board and start producing something similar. Although, it is hard to complain about the gas engines these days. My 02 F150 had no real issues with the engine and so far I like the engine in the 2013 F150. Not sure the diesel would be any cheaper to run these days with diesel costing more than gasoline.

Randy