 From: Randy Bennell via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Hendrik and Fay <heni...@gmail.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Sacrilegious talk about white man magic

How much power is required to recharge the Leaf?
I wonder if enough photocells could be put into the windows to recharge
enough to get the vehicle home and not have to call for a tow.
Might be expensive and cumbersome and most people would not want to put
up with that.

Randy

On 13/08/2014 7:18 PM, Hendrik and Fay via Mercedes wrote:
> According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf stop go
> really eats into the range, probably to do with using climate control
> and the physics of getting a stationary object moving.
>
> Not sure if the trailer idea would be suitable for everyone, some
> people are not comfortable towing a trailer, however the concept is
> good insofar that if you build a proper camping trailer with fridge
> and 240v power and hook it up to a EV 4x4.
>
> Yes the lack of oil threads will be a problem but would they not still
> use grease in some bearings, M1 grease? Perhaps we'll have to have
> battery threads?
>
> Hendrik
> who is controlled with electricity
>
> On 14/08/14 05:00, Archer75--- via Mercedes wrote:
>> That might give her the extra charge she would need to get home.
>>
>> IIRC one of their problems was that Nissan advertised a range of 100
>> miles, but under normal conditions it only gets 70 miles. That made
>> it close, but they could still make the round trip in bus lanes.
>> Gerry
>>
>> On 8/13/2014 12:46 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
>>> Depending on how much extra capacity she needs a small generator
>>> might make sense. I've got a 1200w 2 stroke generator that will run
>>> 8 hours at 50% load with 1 gallon of gas. It wouldn't make a huge
>>> difference but if she only needed a little more...
>>>
>>> Sounds like her commute was iffy for the car and they're running the
>>> AC hard. Stop and go traffic shouldn't hurt the range of an EV
>>> anywhere near what it does to a gas car.
>>>
>>> -Curt

individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner has no