Depends.

With the cover off the alternator, are there brushes or is it brushless?

If it's brushless there is probably a big capacitor somewhere.

Report back on what you find and we can go from there.  Either way it's pretty
simple, the methods are just different depending on what type of excitation it
uses.

Dan