John pretty well covered this in his post regarding separately derived systems.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the sum of two 120V circuits with a common
neutral."

In a residential 120/240V system, there is no reference to neutral for the 240V
circuits, that is, the neutral doesn't factor into the circuit because if it
did you won't have 240V - you'll have two 120V circuits.

A water heater is a perfect example of this - you'll find a red, black and
green wires going to it.  No neutral (white).  Across the red and black wires
is 240V.  The green is what's known as a hazard ground and provides a ground
path back to the source in the event of a short to ground.

Dan