I'm not sure why they would have a 120/240 socket without the genres to being
wired that way.

If you have the cover off the junction box it would be easy enough to check.

The generator is a four lead machine, so there will be four large wires coming
out typically labeled 1,2,3 &4. 1 and 2 are one stator winding, 3 and 4 are
another.

If they are connected in parallel, the generator is wired for straight 120v. If
they are wired in series and the common connection between the two is grounded
and/or tied to the neutral, it's a 120/240v setup.

Dan