I have an 82 300SD turbo which may be similar.

The big plastic "U" that connects the air cleaner to the turbo has rubber
seals at both ends and it's not hard for one of these to "fold under" or
"push out of position" when you reinstall the "U".  This condition causes a
bad seal that can let dirt in and turbo noise out.  The problem is more
likely with an old seals.  It may be worth checking if you hear unexplained
turbo noise.

If you are concerned about boost function, you can temporarily install a
plastic "tee" at the switchover valve and feed a pressure gauge to monitor
boost while driving.  I usually just tape the gauge to the outside of the
windshield vs running the hose into the passenger compartment.  This
pressure is the boost signal to the injection pump.  Turbo boost produces
almost no extra power unless the injection pump adds more fuel (via ALDA) to
burn in the extra air.

Boost pressure is limited by the waste gate that dumps excess pressure and
also an electrical overpressure switch that vents the boost signal to the
ALDA (via the switchover valve) if the boost  pressure is too high.  Higher
boost is not good; it only puts more stress on the engine.  The transmission
also has a circuit to the switchover valve to reduce boost signal to the
ALDA (less fuel/engine torque) during shifts.

Back in the Marshall Booth era, 617 turbos almost never failed unless
abused.

Scott

going