On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 14:40:26 -0400 Dan Penoff via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Plug your VIN into this web site and see if you get the information you
> need:
>
> http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes

I plugged in the serial number from our '72 220D and it didn't recognize
it as an MB serial number.

I plugged in the serial number from our '82 240D and got:
Main data
Parameter       Value
Ident. number (FIN)     WDB12312312317043
VIN     WDBAB23A4CB317043
Baumuster       123123
Sales name      240 D
Cabin   06640
Permanent link
http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check?su=jrz2-5_
Order number    0 1 705 44896
Delivery date   Try to define yourself (tables in russian)
PAINT1  904
PAINT5  32
Interior color  132
Engine  616912 12 068993
Gearbox 722117 02 061989
Lights units    BOSCH
Class   1
General data for model code 123123

Baumuster       Модель  Платформа       Модель
Двигатель       КП      Кол-во дверей   Date From       Date To
123123  E-class W123    240D    Дизель
616.912 АКП 722.117 4

SA codes
Code    Value
132A    No code designation available
252     No code designation available
32      No code designation available
426     No code designation available
440     TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
467     ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL
491     U.S. VERSION
524     PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
531     AUTOMATIC ANTENNA
542     ELECTRIC TWIN ROLLER BLINDS FOR LUGGAGE COMP.COVER
570     FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT
580     AIR CONDITIONING
593     ALL-ROUND WD-GREEN GLASS,HEATED REAR WINDOW-ESG,BF
639     No code designation available
668     PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
673     HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
802     AEJ 06/1/M/X
904     EQUIPMENT PACKAGE BASIC

System information
Code    Value
Data language   en
DB storage version      1.0
Data display version    2.1
Manufacturer's data version     DW 09/2014 Delta 2 from 2014-09-15

I know that the car does NOT have the options represented by codes
467 and 542. Whatever code 802 might be, I have no idea.

Craig