What I have found with shippers like FedEx Ground and the USPS is that they are
often surcharging you on volume, and not basing the charge totally on weight.
I can't say for UPS because I don't use them.

I sent an SL fender panel recently using the USPS. I had to use my packaging,
which was very close in size to a Priority Mail large flat rate box. The cost
was near double the flat rate box, but barely a pound.  When I asked the postal
worker why, they just shrugged it off an made some remark about how they didn't
set the rates.

I suspect they discount the flat rate stuff because it's a standard size.

Dan

Sent from my iPad