I don't think they're doing that here, although if you use eBay for the
shipping the rates are more than what you would pay if you shipped it yourself.

I had some incunabula (very early book pages prior to the introduction of
printing presses) that I put up for sale on eBay earlier this year.  I didn't
bother to check the eBay costs for international shipping - these would have
gone in a legal sized reinforced envelope - and I got a nasty note from a guy
in Argentina about how eBay was charging $40 for shipping, which was close to
what the piece was worth.

I could have sent it using US Postal service International Priority Mail for
about $USD 18.

I had no way of knowing how eBay calculated out international shipping prices,
but needless to say they were ripping people off in my opinion.

Dan