Just leave it out there, but enable security. WPA for sure, as WEP has been compromised for years. Change the admin account credentials to something secure. Use good password practices (8 character minimum, a mix of numbers, upper/lower case letters and characters, no dictionary words.)

Mark Minasi has for years told people to use a passphrase and recommends at least 14 characters. At that point, the passphrase takes so long to crack that it makes little difference if you use special characters and case change.

www.minasi.com/

On AD, I turn off the complexity requirement, but change the length requirement to 14 characters. No problems so far.

A couple years ago, a vendor required that we open up a new server to them. Almost immediately some hackers started banging on the server (brute force attack) trying to crack it. We watched it for several days while the banging went on. Then we got tired of watching and changed the outside access to specific IP numbers only. That shut off the hack attempts. But for over 2 weeks of continuous banging, the long password held.

In 2003 or so Minasi said 14 characters would take over a year to crack. With faster computers, i assume that has shortened now, but 16 or 18 or 21 characters will hold longer.