Is there a check valve in the main hose leading to the brake booster?

I had a vehicle way back that would periodically lose the power brake function and scare me half to death. I changed the hose between the booster and the intake (it was a gas engine) and that solved the problem. There was a check valve in the hose that would sometimes stick.

RB