In my experience (with 617s) burping is critical to coolant flow.  In the
old days. I jacked the front end to get the air out.  When I got smarter, I
learned that you can disconnect the top radiator hose at the radiator, fill
the system through that hose, then reconnect the hose.  Using that
procedure, I didn't need to burp.