On Nov 29, 2014 2:09 AM, "M. Mitchell Marmel via Mercedes" <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> difference.  Wound up getting an open box 24" Insignia 1080 job for $80
> (nice picture!), so if you're near a BB, stop by in person.  They usually

You can usually see open box items online, though of course that just tells
you they haven't been purchased yet.

To the subject, Roku is wonderful.  I own four (two are loaned out).  It
has more supported content than Apple TV, a thoughtful interface, and is
pretty easy to set up.  Remote on the higher models is Bluetooth, but there
is also an IR receiver for universals.  I have both Netflix and Amazon
Prime, so no dearth of content.

The LT is $30 this weekend, if I recall correctly, but I'm not shopping so
I don't know if it has analog out.  The bigger models do, I paid $40 for my
refurbished Roku 2 but they are usually $60ish.  The oldest one I have (now
on loan) ran every day for a couple of years.

If you need local news or sports, you can dig up a new HDHomeRun device to
do ATSC to the network.  I don't have one, and haven't priced them
recently.  There is probably some way to do the same with Plex and a tuner
card in your computer.  Plex is good for local media streaming if you have
a big library on the computer.

I have a separate DVD and VHS player.  When I bought the new TV, I
calculated how much time the kids were watching TV and figured up the power
utilization delta over a couple years, and added that to my TV budget. :)

Best,
Tim