It's TV. While you might see a difference under perfect conditions, my feeling is that nearly all content is of low enough resolution for a variety of reasons that from normal viewing distance (10 ft and up) differences are quite minor.

There is more quality difference between plasma and LCD technology, with the nod going to plasma for color, brightness, and contrast, but don't expect to be able to buy a plasma anymore.

If you are replacing a set more than six or seven years old, they are all much better now anyway. I went from a mediocre Sony CRT to a 40" plasma back when everything went digital, and am quite pleased. More trouble now that I have a metal roof on the house as the attic antenna isn't very useful anymore, and I've not gotten the amplified one up there yet to see if I have to put it out doors (which is gonna cost a couple hundred dollars).

Peter