You are probably best to do a clean install. I have a 2003 server that IE went wonky on after some adware started spawning zillions of popups. AVG got rid of the popups, but IE was still crippled. I did a second option repair and ie works most of the time, but still does some weird things. If you are running something other than XP at home, you could do an XP install as a dual boot, then boot to XP for work at home.