Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
Just remembered that last year I read what I remember to be called "12x12" although Amazon and Google both say I'm crazy. It starts out as king of a cool book about a guy living off the grid in a very small cabin. It very rapidly gets very whiny which was too bad. There is some good small house stuff in it but you really need to wade through post modern angst to get there...

How big was Proenneke's cabin on PBS?
My dad liked that show so much I bought him the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

I believe I met Dick Proenneke in the year he returned to the lower 48 before going back up. I remember a conversation with my Mom because a classmate of hers had been in Fairbanks for several decades at that time. I think it was meeting Dick at Primrose that instigated that conversation. I know my dad sent me to the mill at Primrose with a truck. I am pretty sure that was the time that Dick talked about returning to Primrose for the winter in his book. I am pretty sure he was working at the mill at the time and that is what prompted the conversation with my Mom about Alaska.

It is an interesting book. www.aloneinthewilderness.com/ SWMBO came dragging it home from the welfare bookstore about a year ago. I looked at the cover, and saw the name Proenneke, and thought it was a SE Awa name. So I looked at the cover and sho'nuff, he was Dick Proenneke from Primrose. Then I read the book, and started to recall the late fall of 68 or 69 when I was sent to Primrose with the truck.