On Jan 3, 2015 6:45 PM, "fmiser via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Is fuel price the only reason you choose to drive a diesel?
>
> For me it's not.  I choose diesel engines for a lot of other
> reasons, so now that gasoline is cheap (for a while) I loose one of
> the lesser benefits.

Modern diesels have a different set of benefits than the older stuff. They
aren't anywhere near as simple. They won't run without electricity or
survive an EMP. You can't fix them with golf tees or pour cooking oil in
the tank as a party trick. They aren't drop dead reliable compared to their
contemporaries, as compared to, say, a W123 vs something with D-jet and a
distributor. They will not serve as taxis in Senegal thirty years from now.

The new stuff is all about efficiency, range, and torque. Torque is proof
that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  I also appreciate the unique
technical aspects compared to every other silver E class out there. It is
still less expensive to operate than a gas E320 and I really like the car
so I'm not complaining, but the advantage is smaller than it was a few
months ago.

Tom