Today I found that the CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized by the laptop
(does not show up in the device manager, nor in Windows Explorer).  It has
power, opens and closes fine and the green light comes one, but no-worky.

Online research indicates that the problem may be a fault in the nvidia
graphics chip.

I don't see an option for re-loading the driver, if the device itself is
not recognized.

I may fool around with system restore later.

In the meanwhile, I'll borrow an external optical drive, and start saving
nickels and dimes for a new laptop.  Six years is a nice long life for a
cheapie from Walmart, so I cannot complain at all.

-Max