Tim Crone via Mercedes wrote:

I keep electric heaters for when I run out of propane.  Hopefully that
won't happen again, but it pays to have a backup.  Keep warm!

I check my tank gauge every Sunday.

My next door neighbor complained that his propane company only filled him to 56% during the shortage last year. Then he ran out of propane about ten days later. After the refill, his furnace went on lockout, and he had to pay a tech to clean his burners. Furnace had a pre-season service, tech told him that running out of LP was the cause of the problem.

I couldn't believe he let it happen. He was really worried about the short fill, but apparently didn't keep close track of the propane level. I would have been burning up the phone lines after it hit 20%. He paid in advance for a year's propane in the middle of the summer, with a 'keep full' contract, and they did that to him when propane got expensive.

My parents have the same contract with another provider which tries to keep them above 50% because of their backup generator. Their tank was kept full through last year's shortage.

Mitch.