Hi Don,

WOW - congrats on the car! It sounds like you scored a great deal.
That's exactly the kind of car I like to get - one that the PO had
dumped many thousands of $$$'s into. Amazing - you have a near-rebuilt
W126 now.

The 2nd gear start was for a few reasons. One, emissions & fuel
economy (EPA numbers). Two, it makes the car take off more smoothly -
less touchy throttle - especially on slippery surfaces. Three, it has
less tendency to 'creep' when at a stoplight. From a stop, if you give
it more than about 3/4 throttle, it will downshift to 1st gear. Or,
while stopped, put the lever in "L" for a couple seconds, then back in
"D". For that next start, it will take off in 1st gear.

To make it stay in 1st until *you* want it to upshift, leave it in
"L"... manually move the lever to "S" and it will upshift, but it will
then go to 3rd pretty quick unless you pull the lever *back* to "L"
after you hit 2nd gear... then when you want the 2-3 upshift, move the
lever to "S". I do this all the time on all my MB's, it becomes second
nature after a while. The diesel is really bad about part-throttle
upshifts too soon, the 300E is much better - different valve body
programming.

:-)

-DM