Leased a 2014 Touareg diesel end of last year, similar reasons. Very nice.
Fancy as any Mercedes. She loves it.

I would never want to own a new Mercedes. People who don't have time for
repairs only drive them for a few years until they start to become a
nightmare, and then lease a new one. Ditto for BMW - been down that road.

Gwagen/Steyr is a solid long term choice for DIY types, but it is a truck.
US versions probably not the most economical choice at 13mpg for 30k miles
a year. Has a long-term DIY cult around it, sort of like this list =:-) It
is totally unlike an x5 or GL/M.