It has a TC.   The thing would only move under power at L prior to installing
the linkage bushings.  Now it is able to find all gears and engages within a
second.  Then it dies.  Lugging of the engine.  The vehicle does move in the
appropriate direction when put into gear.  Then it lugs and dies.  So, it
engages, spins the drive shaft enough to move wheels.  It would probably spin
wheels if it had remained on the jack stands in either direction.  It spun
wheels in reverse without lugging on the stands.   I have noticed that the
front half shaft is more exposed at the splines.  Could it also need a
transmission mount and motor mounts upgrade?

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers