I had a bit of an adventure a couple days ago.  I was driving the
'81 240 and after a stop I got in to start the car and the key
would not turn.

Yeah, I know all about the failing tumblers.  I even carry an
appropriate wire on a keyring.  But this one had given me no
warning.  It had been turning fine every time - until this time.

After about 20 minutes of shaking, wiggling, and twisting the
key I finally got it to turn after tapping on the end of the
key.  "Hah!", I though, "I've got it now!"  I promptly removed
the tumbler and got a pair of long nose pliers from the
trunk to turn the mechanism.

At my next stop, I didn't even hesitate to turn the "key"
off.  Much to my surprise, when I tried to start the car, the
"key" wouldn't turn!!  Huh?  In the base of the rotating
assembly is a little lever that is supposed to move toward the
center.  It was getting hung up.  With the aid of my small
pocket screwdriver I was able to easily encourage it to move -
and then the "key" turned easily.

I haven't yet determined the cause of the problem - but
wondered if any of you have had a similar problem.  Or am I
yet again finding new and creative failures...

____

I'd call that the Philip failure. It is a new and creative way to have a switch problem! Congratulations and I'll let WS send the attaboy for all of us!