Rich Thomas via Mercedes wrote:
I have a generator on wheels that the PO of our house left us, last time I used it was when my temp power panel was arcing and sparking and it took awhile to get the powerco here, but it fired right up after not using it a coupla years. (I know I should really tend to it...). It has 220V and 110V output and is like 6000W or so, so it can run a fridge and other stuff easy enough, maybe even one of my mini-split units now as they are not too much of a load.

My Fujitsu inverter drive mini-split would easily run on just about any generator except the little 1000W things, but I never tried it. I read somewhere that the electronics (especially in the LG brand units) were quite sensitive to voltage spikes and ground issues, so I drove a dedicated ground rod right under the unit and never subjected it to homemade power, and always turned it off during storms, and I'd often cut the breaker to it when the lights started blinking during a storm.

Mitch.