OK Don via Mercedes wrote:
Ha! Oklahoma does not admit to the existence of solar power. The hangar
roof ridge runs E-W, so I have a good 1000 ft2 to mount panels on.
As is, the HVAC wants 83A on start, 15A running. I will need the
"Intellistart" soft start thing to reduce that start-up current.

Sounds like a scroll compressor about twice as big as mine.
Mine is about 7A running, takes a 20A HACR breaker, and
47 LRA. I think I started it on the 3650W Homelite, but I can't be sure.
The 5000W/10-11hp class generators all run it easily, the ones I've had were rated at 20-24A. I've got a hard start kit but not a soft start. The hard start drastically reduces spin-up time but doesn't change peak amps.

Mitch