OK Don via Mercedes wrote:
I did find these two generators on CL that look interesting - -

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/5016446899.html  for the dual fuel
and smaller loads.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/fod/4978584521.html  for the larger
loads.

I suspect DuroMax is similar to the Champion/Predator etc stuff at Harbor
Freight.
Here's a DuroMax the size of the Northern Tool one you mentioned:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-10-000-Watt-16-HP-Gasoline-Powered-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator-with-Wheel-Kit-XP10000E/203729623

That Northern Tool generator seems to say Vanguard on it, which is a Briggs&Stratton model name. The current version costs over $2k and has a Honda V-twin in it.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200467367_200467367

Do these look familiar?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-4-400-Watt-Hybrid-Dual-Fuel-Propane-Gas-Powered-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator-with-Wheel-Kit-XP4400EH/203729909
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-4-850-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Propane-Gas-Powered-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator-XP4850EH/205299872

Seriously, if I were in the market, I'd either buy used with Subaru or Honda power from a homeowner who only used it during power failures, or I'd get something like this, especially if I could find a 30% off coupon, the reviews are surprisingly good, including people who run vacation cabins and concession trailers and a couple of off grid residents:
http://www.harborfreight.com/8750-peak7000-running-watts-13-hp-420cc-generator-epa-iii-69671.html

Check out this Predator review, it appears those Chinese engines are fairly solid these days:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-peak3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-generator-epa-iii-69729.html
This is my main power source for my house in the winter because i live off grid and there is not enough sun for my solar! I have had this generator running about 8 hours everyday for the last 3 months for a total of around 720+ hours! I am writing this review with my generator powering my internet and laptop and lights and fridge at this moment! This generator has not failed me! Better then my Northstar/Briggs and stratton! oh and its quieter as well!

BTW, I just bought yet another 5kw generator Saturday.
This one is a contractor grade Subaru/Robin, about 12 years old.
Bought it from original owner, just a homeowner using it for backup power, so it hasn't seen much use for a commercial style generator. Has a nice brushless generator head.
I suspect the $250 I paid him was about 10% of what he paid.
Sometimes it pay to search Craigslist every week for
generator subaru|robin|honda|onan|wisconsin|kohler
and be prepared to grab the bargains that pop up once or twice a year.
Mitch.