ATTABOY on the write-up/instructions/procedures, Grant.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "G Mann via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "G Mann" <g2ma...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Battery Maintainers

As owner of quite a number of vehicles [currently 17], I've become
something of a skilled person in the art of keeping the seldom driven
vehicle operational.

1. Invest in a battery disconnect switch. Harbor Freight sells one that
costs about $7. Put it in the ground cable and when you park the vehicle,
disconnect the ground, thus isolating the battery from any current draw
the
vehicle may have. Since you put it in the ground circuit, it makes
location
of the switch easier also, no "hot lead" to deal with. All required to fit
the switch is usually a short ground strap with a lug on each end.. normal
ground cable end is mounted on one lug of the switch, the new cable to the
other, the "loose end" mounted at the newly vacated ground mount point.
All
connections to batteries need to be "Clean, Bright, and Tight" .... [good
protocol].

2. I use the small solar panels to provide 1.5 amp charging current to the
now isolated battery. A good battery [presume you aren't storing a bad
battery, right?] will self discharge at the rate of about .06 volts per
month, starting with a good 12.40 volt fully charged battery. The small
solar panel, mounted in a south facing window, will charge enough to make
up that normal loss. Even on cloudy days, you will get solar energy. Not
as
much, but it will average out.. the panel you get should have overcharge
circuitry built in.. it cost a bit more.. but still less than a new
battery. Check and make sure you have proper fluid level in the battery to
start with.

3. A good solar panel will come with quick disconnect pigtails that attach
directly to the battery clamps. So, when you use the vehicle, you will
unplug the solar panel, turn the ground disconnect switch to "connect" and
execute the "stored start checklist" for the vehicle.. [ie. prime fuel,
etc
etc..]

When you return from the weekend cruise, turn battery disconnect to "off",
plug in solar panel, put the car back up on stands.. etc etc..

I chose the solar panel units because the sun always shines [well almost
always] even when the power grid may be down, plus.. I don't like leaving
electrical devices unattended, and they fail in unexpected ways.

Your personal mileage may vary.

Grant...

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Rick Knoble via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

‎Craig asks:
‎
>Does anyone have experience >with the battery maintainers >which are
>supposed to keep a battery in >good condition during prolonged >storage?

The "Battery Tender" line of products is good. Not cheap though.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Battery+Tender

Rick
Sent from my BlackBerry Z10